Follow Alexa Through the Maze
HBO is debuting its first full-scale voice skill with “Westworld: The Maze,” an immersive gaming skill for Westworld fans. The network continues to build on its legacy of providing unique and innovative experiences to fans with this foray into Voice. Available on Alexa-enabled devices starting this week as fans are gearing up for the highly anticipated season finale, “Westworld: The Maze” brings Westworld’s layered story mapping to Voice, where users are led on a three-tiered quest for consciousness.
In “Westworld: The Maze”, users play an unnamed Westworld host and are guided through three “choose-your-own-adventure” style levels with over 60 storylines and 400 unique game choices riddled with questions about the Westworld universe. Created in partnership with Kilter Films (the production team behind Westworld) and advertising agency 360i, “The Maze” is a premium and immersive Voice experience that leverages the series’ full sound library. Beloved characters Bernard/Arnold (Jeffrey Wright) and Clementine (Angela Sarafyan) appear throughout certain stages of the game, lending their vocal talents to test users on their understanding of Westworld lore.
“Voice is the next frontier of interactive storytelling, with a powerful ability as a marketing tool to deepen engagement with our fanbases. We’re excited to launch our first Voice initiative as a Westworld story extension that we hope will surprise and delight our viewers,” said Sabrina Caluori, senior vice president, HBO digital and social marketing.
For the first time ever, fans will be able to experience and engage with Westworld for themselves from their own homes. With over 2 hours of unique gameplay, “The Maze” is designed to challenge even the viewers that know the show best. The game takes about 20 minutes to complete…for those cunning enough to stay alive that long. Each moment of the game was designed with purpose, much like the show itself. Within the game’s detailed sound design and scripted interactions, anything could be a clue. It will take a true superfan to find the center of The Maze.
Users are guided through various storylines from the series, including a group of bandits riding through the streets of Sweetwater, a close-call with a Confederado in Pariah, a hungry family of homesteaders in Python Pass, a conniving barback at Las Mudas, and more.
To enter, tell your Alexa device: “Alexa… open Westworld.” Here are a couple helpful hints to get you started:
- If you make it to the saloon, show Kissy, the blackjack dealer some respect.
- If you meet the barmaid, remind her how to get rid of those nightmares by counting backwards from 3.
- If you come across a traveler just outside the Ranch, don’t ask her too many questions about her encounter at La Cantina in Las Mudas.
- At Abernathy Ranch, mention the Judas steer to prove yourself to the ranch hand.
- If you want the bandits in Sweetwater to like you, remember that the Confederados come from New Virginia.
- Answer the Sheriff honestly when he asks where Hector is hiding. He might suspect you of hiding in the hills with him, but you can talk your way out of it later.